Sunday, November 9, 2008

Prompted by Love

Dear Family and Friends,

This past summer I was able to travel to Kenya as an intern with Mission to the World, a missionary sending agency, to experience a mission trip overseas. It was unlike any other mission trip. I was able to spend two months building relationship and sharing the love of Christ with the Kenyans living in the slums. Since my return, I have not stopped thinking about Kenya and the brothers and sisters I had to say good-bye to there. After much prayer by myself, my family, and my friends, I have decided to return to Kenya as an intern this summer.

I believe God is calling me to do medical missions and I am currently studying nursing at Samford University. Thus, my internship with MTW will be more focused on the medical aspect of this street child ministry. When the medical teams come in from MTW, I will become a part of their team in order to gain more experience in the medical field. I will also be working closely with a woman at the Kibera Church to learn more about HIV/AIDS related care programs and their feeding program. I am so excited to have this new experience. I will still be involved in the street-children ministry in which we participate in Bible studies, classroom work, and door to door evangelism in three different slums of Kenya.

Not only will it be incredible time to grow in the field of medical missions, but to continue to build on the relationships and friendships I formed last summer. A day doesn’t go by when I don’t think of the incredible boys, girls, women and men whom I met. I have so much more to learn about this culture and about God through the Kenyan’s lives. God continues to show me what true forgiveness is through the lives of the boys and girls at the Shuname shelter who have been abused. While they have suffered so much they are able to forgive those who have hurt them, only because of the love and forgiveness Christ offers them. I was able to become closer friends with the girls, and they told me of dreams to become doctors and teachers. Even in their own words they have even encouraged me in my own studies and to work for the Lord and not for man. There is so much I look forward to doing when I return and I know I have so much yet to learn.

I would love for you to participate in this ministry. Most importantly, I need your prayers. There have been so many times when I have truly seen the power of prayer while in Kenya. Safety, health, and, more importantly, open hearts to the word of God have been clearly by the working of God’s power. As for funding, I will also need to raise roughly around $6,000 to minister in Kenya. Prayerfully consider what God would call you to. I would love to talk to you further about any questions you might have and how else you can get involved. My email is jonannaray@sbcglobal.net. Thank you and God Bless!

Grace and Peace,

Joanna Haas

1 Timothy 4:9-10 “This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the Living God, who is Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.”

1Thessalonians 1:3 "May my work be produced by faith, my labor prompted by love, and my endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ."

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog and I'm so excited to follow your journey. I am missing Kenya so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I am happy for you!! <><

    ReplyDelete